Vladimiras Dubeneckis (1888-1932) was born in the family of a Lithuanian exile. In 1906-1914, he studied architecture at the Academy of Fine Arts in Saint Petersburg, where he was taught by L. Benua. Later on he worked at the academy. In 1917, he was granted a professor’s title.
In 1919, with his wife Olga he went to Lithuania and settled in Vilnius. In the same year they moved to Kaunas. During the first years of life in Kaunas, he served at the Ministry of Trade and Industry, in 1920-1923 – at the American Lithuanian (Amlito) limited liability company in construction departments.
He was one of the founders of the Lithuanian Art Society, the State Archaeological Commission, the Lithuanian Union of Engineers and Architects, in 1925-1932 – the chairman of the Architectural Section. He was responsible for the protection of architectural monuments, was a member of the State Archaeological Commission. In 1927-1929, he worked as a professor, taught composition and perspective at the Arts School. In 1930-1931, he was teaching at Vytautas Magnus University.
Most significant buildings designed by him: Kaunas Arts School (1922-1923), reconstruction of the State Theatre House in Kaunas (1923-1925), Cinema ‘Metropoliten’ (current Kaunas Drama Theatre; 1928-1929), M. K. Čiurlionis Culture Museum (1930), Vytautas Magnus War Museum (1934), etc. In some buildings (interior of the hotel ‘Lietuva’, 1925, facade decoration of the residential building ‘Ragutis’ (both in Kaunas)) he used motifs of Lithuanian folk art.
In later projects (Faculty of Medicine of Vytautas Magnus University, 1931-1933, Vytautas Magnus War Museum (together with architects K. Reisons and K. Krikščiukaitis, 1931-1936) he interconnected features of classics and modern architecture.
Reference: Art Market Agency.